Search This Blog

19.6.10

Dinner with Friends

by Donald Margulies

I had the pleasure of watching a run-through of this play last summer when I was working at the Barnstormers Theatre.. it's a thoughtful, funny, sad play and I was happy to read it after so much time has passed. I admire the honesty of the relationships - I think Gabe and Karen have an enviable marriage. They obviously adore each other and while they are not without their problems, they work through them together. As they watch their best friends' marriage fall apart they are left questioning their own but rather than tear them apart it presses them to open up. Our last image is of them holding each other, Karen having just asked "How do we not get lost?" and it is questions like that - honest, vulnerable, scary questions that will allow them to be there for one another and remain happy.

I can't wait to read more of Margulies' work. I own a bunch of his plays but I've never gotten around to reading them. His artistic voice is in line with my own aesthetic and I look forward to understanding him more fully.

Saturday Play-a-day: In the Book Of  by John Walch

No comments:

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)