Search This Blog

19.6.10

In the Book Of

by John Walch

I cannot rave enough about John's work. He was the playwright-in-residence at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival when I was down there and this piece was workshopped as part of the Southern Writer's Project. It is the story of a female soldier who, discharged from the army, brings home her Afghan translator to her home in Mississippi. Based on the book of Ruth, we see how this "stranger" affects the people around her and ultimately comes to find love and peace. We are doing a reading of it at New Dramatists this week and so I just read the most recent draft and it is so beautiful. It has a magical quality to it that I love. I think John writes in a very theatrical way that occasionally reaches a more heightened reality. I'm so pleased to know him and I highly recommend you, loyal reader, check out his work!

Sunday Play-a-day: Savage in Limbo by John Patrick Shanley

No comments:

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)