Search This Blog

26.6.10

Ludlow Fair

by Lanford Wilson

A short little one-act about a pair of roommates who have been swindled by one of their boyfriends. Two things I took from this - 1) the very funny opening monologue where Rachel tries to be her own therapist.. and 2) the reference to this beautiful poem by A.E. Housman:

Oh I have been to Ludlow fair
And left my necktie God knows where,
And carried half way home, or near,
Pints and quarts of Ludlow beer:
Then the world seemed none so bad,
And I myself a sterling lad;
And down in lovely muck I've lain,
Happy till I woke again.
Then I saw the morning sky:
Heigho, the tale was all a lie;
The world, it was the old world yet,
I was I, my things were wet,
And nothing now remained to do
But begin the game anew.                
-"A Shropshire Lad." by A.E. Housman

Saturday Play-a-day: Women of Manhattan by John Patrick Shanley
 

No comments:

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)