Search This Blog

16.6.10

You Can't Take it With You

by Kaufman & Hart

My whole life I thought this was a musical. I think it was the two names that threw me off. I loved this play - so funny and quirky and just asking to be done at every regional theatre (if it hasn't already).. the age-old themes of acceptance and overcoming snap judgements are on full display here. I mean, yes the Sycamore family is crazy, but that's why we love them - they are our own families to the extreme, they are US to the extreme. Give me fireworks and snakes and "toe-dancing" any day!

Nothing too profound to say here, just that it was thoroughly enjoyable and I would love to work on it!

Wednesday Play-a-day: H for Hamlet by Eric Bentley

No comments:

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)