Search This Blog

17.7.10

Stinky Flowers and the Bad Banana

by Croft Vaughn

In preparation for an audition, I read this play and was utterly charmed by the story and characters. Essentially, it is the story of three children coping with their father and grandfather's deaths. Army brats, the three siblings are "always the new kids." They adopt the storytelling tradition of their grandfather to lead the audience on a very interactive journey through their highly developed imaginations. Complete with multimedia, imaginary friends, and cookies, this play will warm your heart and tickle your funny bone.

Thursday Play-a-day: Torch Song Trilogy: The International Stud by Harvey Fierstein

1 comment:

Croft said...

Hi Lauren, I'm not sure if I ever told you this, but you are one of the smartest actresses I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Here's why. There is a single line near the end of my play, and I gave it to Elizabeth to speak, but it could have been said by Sam as well. It was a tough choice. I thought to myself, now here is a line that will reveal its significance maybe 2-3 weeks into rehearsals.

At the read-through, you picked up on this line in one of your first comments. Maybe I'm not as clever as I think I am, but seeing you catch that right off the bat was pretty damn impressive.

Cheers!
xo,
C

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)