Search This Blog

6.9.10

Split

by Michael Weller

This play, consisting of two different one-acts, is the story of, you guessed it! one couples' separation. At times funny, sad, hauntingly true, and charming, Split reminds you that when a relationship ends it affects more than just the two lovers.

Carol and Paul are the lovers in question. They seem great for each other and all the way until the end I kept thinking, what went wrong? Carol is jealous of Paul's female friends and one day she does something completely out of character. She cheats. She tries to explain to Paul:
I wanted to sleep with someone else, that's all. I thought about you when I was with him. I thought maybe now I'll be more interesting. Because I'm not very interesting am I. We go out with friends and we have a great time and you get into a good mood and you joke around and then when we get home you're never like that. You get quiet. You don't joke around with me because I'm just not very interesting and I thought maybe if I did something I'd never do, then I'd be ... instead of being the kind of person who'd never do certain things I'd become ... I'd be different than you thought I was.
But in the end, very little changed. It didn't get any better. The main thing this play made me consider is how two people can be perfect for each other but something - timing, location, situations beyond their control, their own insecurities - prevent them from being happy. If Carol weren't quite so jealous of Jean.. if Jean didn't try so hard to befriend Carol.. if Paul were better at reassuring Carol.. if people in general stopped worrying so much about the little things and were more thankful. Granted, these are all "ifs" ("much virtue in if" according to Touchstone.. "Your if is your only peace-maker.") [shameless plug for the "As You Like It" I'm working on -->]
but what IF we turned them into WHENs -- would we be happier? Or would more IFs pop up to replace them?

Tomorrow's Play: The House of Yes by Wendy MacLeod

No comments:

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)