Search This Blog

8.11.10

Crave

by Sarah Kane

Okay. I'm not going to presume to know what Kane intended for this play to be. I think she left certain things purposely vague, which is incredibly trusting and creative. So I will simply speak to my own interpretation of the play.

For me, this is the style of play that is difficult to read. Because most of the dialogue could be directed to any of the characters, it becomes a kind of nonsense without any sort of direction placed upon it. In performance, the actors and director must make choices about the relationships, but the text itself has no stage directions to clue the reader in to what's going on. That being said, I started to imagine what I would do with this play. In articles I've read it's been suggested that the four characters - C M B and A - represent four different parts of humanity, or that they are two pairs of lovers.

I imagined that this play took place inside the mind of someone who is dreaming. Each character could morph into different beings and take on different roles within the dream. I often have dreams that are difficult to put into words because they don't make logical sense. This is the world of the play, in my creation. It can be argued that in dreams, your subconscious raises issues and ideas that your conscious mind may not be able to handle. More than once I have woken myself up out of fear or grief in order to stop myself from living the dream I'm having. This dream-like world is attractive to me as a setting for Crave because truly anything can happen.


When she wrote Crave, Kane regarded it as the "most despairing" of her plays, created at a time when she had lost "faith in love." Each character is distressed and vocal about the reasons why. Some of the lines stood out to me more than others - what they say about my current state of mind would be revealing, I'm sure. Feel free to imagine:
Because love by its nature desires a future.
I have a black black side I know. I have a side so green you will never know.
You look reasonably happy for someone who's not.
You get mixed messages because I have mixed feelings. 
 I won't settle for a life in the dark.
What I sometimes mistake for ecstasy is simply the absence of grief. 
Reading Sarah Kane makes me feel that I have things easy. Even my darkest moments cannot compare to the despair in her writing. I hope she has found peace.

Tomorrow's Play: The Four of Us by Itamar Moses

1 comment:

Dapper Dan said...

I like how you decided to review her most difficult play to understand. 4.48 is even easier. Also, approaching the review with your perceptions and ideas is the best way to do it.

Labels

' (1) absurdist (1) american (68) British (17) chekhov (1) classical (33) comedic (49) contemporary (108) dramatic (44) fairy-tale (1) farce (8) helen keller (1) impediment (2) Irish (1) musical (2) no role (3) nudity (1) one-act (9) pulitzer (4) role (117) serio-comedic (43) shakespeare (4) Shaw (2) thriller (1) tragedy (4) translation (3) war (2)